The Education Facility II / Academic Office East project involved construction of a new facility complex designed to bring together campus faculty, students, and programs in two interconnected physical structures. The project included two, five-level instructional and office facilities connected by an enclosed single story second floor bridge that functions as a pedestrian passageway (the “ED Bridge”) between the two structures.
Academic Office East is comprised of the upper three levels of the two facilities, with academic faculty and staff offices, program administrative offices, conference rooms and office support space, which houses the various faculty and staff of all schools and administration of the UCD.
ED II is comprised of the lower two levels of the two facilities and an adjacent building, with lecture halls, classrooms, small group meeting rooms, computer labs and student community space.
In addition, the new facility features a 600-seat auditorium with extensive acoustic attenuation, smart classrooms, offices, interview and observation, video and studio rooms, and server rooms, meeting rooms and student community lounges.
SBEC’s mechanical and electrical scope of work consisted of the following:
- Variable air volume (VAV) air handling systems
- Campus chilled water / steam from central utility plant
- Variable speed pumping
- Extensive acoustic attenuation
- Building automation system (BAS) with DDC controls
- 24×7 cooling for data center
- CO2 and outdoor air IAQ controls
- Fire alarm and full fire sprinkler coverage
- Genset and power conditioning
- Data cabling infrastructure
- CO2 demand controlled ventilation
- Specialty low voltage lighting controls
- Audio/visual system interfacing
- Security camera and card access